Photo taken by Karl Bloomberg© 2011; used with permission.
GPS (Latitude,Longitude): 38.676632,-90.339525 Click here for Google Map to cemetery
The congregation and trustees' minutes record all early burials; the indexed cemetery death register, at the synagogue, records burials, beginning in 1849 to the present. It includes the names of those removed in 1880, when the cemetery was cleared, who were transferred to the current UH cemetery (called Mount Olive until 1960). The St. Louis Genealogical Society published an extensive and useful transcription of United Hebrew Congregation tombstone inscriptions in the older section of the current cemetery in "Old Cemeteries", vol. 1982.
The main gate was originally on North & South, and chapel there was used to prepare bodies for burial accoding to Orthodoz practice. Twenty acres to the west of the original cemetery were purchased in 1929. Where the new caretaker's residence was built in 1962, the old chapel was demolished, along with the former caretaker's residence.
General information on cemeteries and other resources in Missouri:
To access the JGS Cemetery Database records by name or soundex search, please use the Search button on the top menu.
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547