The Daily Missouri Democrat and the Missouri Republican newspapers printed information about citizens who suffered and usually died from sunstrokes. The earliest article is from 1853 and they extended to 1867. Obviously, the sunstroke articles only appeared in the heat of the summer.
The two newspapers listed above are available at Missouri Historical Society and other libraries.
Dennis Northcott suggested this collection and Audrey Flavin developed and transcribed the data. The articles started in the 2000 St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, volume 33 and extended for three years.
|Adams, James||07/09/58||On Tuesday James Adams, living at Morgan and Fifteenth street was borne into his house in a state of insensibility from sun stroke. His recovery is still deemed to be doubtful.|
|Anderson, [unk], Mr.||07/18/59||Since Friday, inquests have been held in several cases wherein juries have returned verdict of death by sunstroke, as follows: At Clark's sawmill, North St. Louis, on Hans Esbler, and who was in the employ of Mr. Anderson. He fell insensible from his wagon while loading lumber.|
|Andrew, James||08/23/60||James Andrew, a quarryman on Grand avenue, near the Fair Grounds, after several hours of labor, was suddenly seized with heat exhaustion and soon afterwards expired.|
|Armfield, T.||07/21/57||Inquest was held last evening at the city marshal's office, on the deceased body of D. P. Skates, aged 31 years. He was the son of D. P. Skates esq. Banker at Waterloo, N. Y. At about half past ten yesterday forenoon, he crossed on the upper ferry boat to the depot of Adams & Co.,'s Express company, where he transacted some business with his brother-in-law, Mr. T. Armfield, dispatcher for the company. While with Mr. Armfield, he appeared in good health and fine spirits. Thence he proceeded directly to recross the river. At about midstream he paid the fare and ascending the boiler deck, laid himself down. Shortly he was found delirious and nearly stupid. When at the levee, he was given in charge to a policeman, who placed him in a baggage wagon to convey him to the health office. He was scarcely in the wagon when he was found to have died. The corpse was place in the rear room of the marshal's office, where the inquest further showed the following facts. He had for two weeks complained more or less of chills, and had been using quinine and other medicines. His habits were those of temperance and activity. Verdict was accordingly rendered of ""death from sickness and exposure."" The deceased has resided in the west for three years, and leaves a wife and three children, girls. Respectively aged, thirteen, nine and three years, The wife is now visiting her eastern friends.|
|Arnold, [unk], Coroner||07/01/64||Yesterday coroner Arnold held an inquest on the body of Giles D. Sullivan, a discharged soldier who belonged to the 17th Missouri, But who has been living on O'Fallon between Fifth and Sixth streets. Deceased was a single man, twenty-seven years of age, and was one of four brothers who were in the army. He died of sun stroke.|
|Barnes, James||08/11/58||A young Irishman, twenty four years of age, named James Barnes, a moulder in the Iron Mountain Foundry, yesterday went into a pond on Cass avenue near Twenty First street, to bathe, and in fifteen minutes afterward was taken with cramps and sank to the bottom. His body has been recovered and an inquest will be held today.|
|Barnet, John||08/12/58||Coroner Kennedy yesterday held the last inquest of his term of office, at the pond near the new Reservoir, on the body of John Barnet, who was drowned on the previous evening, while bathing. Deceased was unmarried, aged twentytwo years, and lately employed as molder at the Iron Mountain Foundry. On Tuesday he was discharged from that employment, and in the evening in a state of inebriety, went into the pond, accompanied by another, to bathe. He was thus accidentally drowned.|
|Barnum, [unk]||08/19/58||Barnum was of the firm of Richardson and Barnum, roofers on Vine street. His partners are having the corpse embalmed to send it to his friends at Williamsburg.|
|Barnum, [unk]||08/23/60||Timothy Donahue, a waiter at Barnum’s; a Mrs. Smith, at the corner of Second and Spruce streets, also died on Saturday from the same cause.|
|Barnum, John T.||08/19/58||Dr. Boisliniere, Coroner, held an inquest on the body of John T. Barnum, 35 years of age of Williamsburg New York who died early yesterday morning at # 62 North Seventieth street in a ""fainting fit."" A post mortem examination was made by Dr. Gregory, who certified that the deceased died of ""abnormal congestion of the right lobes of the heart and liver induced by the over exertion and excessive heat."" verdict accordingly.|
|Barry, James||07/06/60||James Barry, of Illinois, aged 35 years, a few weeks since came to the City Hospital to attend a sick brother. On the morning of the 4th he was suddenly attacked with apoplexy and quickly expired.|
|Beckman, Albert||08/10/58||Coroner Kennedy held four inquests yesterday. At the Uhrig House, No.66 North Third street, corner of Olive, on the body of Albert Beckman, a German, aged twenty five years. Deceased was a member of the Turners' Association, and was out on Sunday, when he indulged pretty freely in beer and soda. At supper he complained of feeling ill, and went to his room. In the morning he was found dead. Verdict rendered death from apoplexy of the lungs.|
|Becquerel, [unk]||08/13/58||A Frenchman named Becquerel was overcome Wednesday afternoon by exposure to the heat, while working in Illinois. He was brought to this city and placed under medical treatment at No.41 Levee, but died at 9 o'clock in the evening. The physicians in attendance gave a certificate as to the cause of his death, and an inquest was not held.|
|Beerless, Lewis A.||08/09/67||The Coroner held an inquest yesterday on the body of Lewis A. Beerless, colored, who died on Wednesday night of apoplexy, at his residence, No. 712 North Eleventh street. He was a widower, 57 years and leaves several children.|
|Begham, [unk]||06/14/53||A German, named Begham, employed in Thornburgh's brick yard in North St. Louis, was struck by the rays of the sun yesterday about 11 o'clock while at work, and died in half an hour. He was 53 years of age.|
|Benton, Cornelius||08/23/60||Cornelius Benton, a cabin boy, from Saratoga New York died of heat debility, at No. 90 South Second street.|
|Bernays, George, Dr.||07/21/59||On Lewis Crane, a baker, who lived on Seventh street near Lafayette avenue. Tuesday morning he dined in apparently usual and good health. In an hour afterward he was taken suddenly ill, staggered to his couch, and had scarcely lain down upon it when he expired. Dr. George Bernays instituted a post mortem examination, and found that the fatal cause was apoplexy of the heart. In this case the deceased had not been at work in the sun, nor had he been directly exposed to the heat.|
|Bernays, George, Dr.||08/16/59||Early yesterday morning a middle aged man, who was well known as a peddler of periodicals, Simon Gross, was found dead in his room at the southeast corner of Third and Market streets. At nine a. m. Sunday he was seen in the hall outside his door, polishing his boots. He was not seen the rest of the day. The next morning his door was still fast, and as it proved impossible to arouse him, it was broken open. He lay bent up upon the floor, with his pants clutched in one hand. Evidently he had attempted to relieve himself from increasing sickness by getting to the air, but fell and expired in the effort. At the inquest Dr. George Bernays was called to preform a post mortem examination. The room was very small and close, obviously the very place for a fatal slumber during the heat of summer.|
|Bethy, Alexander||07/20/64||Third: On the body of Alexander Bethy, a caulker who died of congestion of the lungs at his boarding house, on the corner of Second and Lesperance street.|
|Bielberg, Henry||08/09/61||Henry Bielberg, a wagoner was attacked with sun stroke at the corner of Third and Elm streets, at 5 o'clock last evening, and fell to the sidewalk in a state of apparent insensibility. Buckets of water were dashed upon him, and in a short time he was restored to consciousness and removed to his boarding house.|
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547