St. Louis Hospitals
News Feeds:
St. Louis Genealogical Society - Search

St. Louis Hospitals

The descriptions in this selected list were gleaned from the institutional advertisements in the 1909 St. Louis Directory of Charities and Philanthropies, city directories, and other resources. Unless noted, all facilities were located in St. Louis City.

Showing records 1 to 20 of 54.

HospitalsDatesYear Address Tidbits
Alexian Brothers Hospital 1870–Open This Catholic facility had a capacity of 300 “inmates.” The name was recently changed to St. Alexius Hospital; however, the facility is still at the same location. 1909 3933 S. Broadway Ave.
Anti-Narcotin Sanitarium Unknown–Closed This was a private hospital for the treatment of morphine, opium, cocaine, whiskey, and other narcotic habits. 1909 603 N. Garrison St.
Association Hospital 1893–Closed Formerly St. Louis Hospital Ticket Association, this private hospital was for the care of medical and surgical cases. 1909 3445–3447 Pine St.
Barnes Hospital 1909–Open This facility was in the planning stages in 1909. It has grown to be one of the premier hospitals in the country. 1909 Kingshighway Blvd. Current One Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza
Bellefontaine Farms 1915–Open 1915 Florissant RR I, Bellefontaine Neighbors
Bethesda Home and Hospital for Incurables 1889–Merged This facility was for incurable cases and is now part of St. Louis University Hospital. 1909 3649 Vista Ave.
Cardinal Glennon Hospital 1956–Open 1956 1465 S. Grand Ave.
Centenary Hospital 1902–Merged This was the hospital department of the Barnes Medical University, with a capacity of 150 patients. It was open to the public. 1909 Garrison & Lawton Aves.
Christian Hospital 1903–Open 1903 4411 N. Newstead Ave. 1968 Christian Northwest opened. 1976 Christian Northeast opened.
City Female Hospital 1873–1914 This hospital cared for indigent sick females, with a capacity of 300 women. 1942 Arsenal & Sublette Aves.
City Hospital 1846–1985 This facility cared for indigent sick and emergency cases of all kinds. 1942 1515 Lafayette Ave. at S. 14th St.
City Insane Hospital 1845–Open This hospital cared for the “insane,” with a capacity of 650 inmates plus another 900 people with mild cases housed at the poorhouse. It is now part of the Truman Restorative Center. 1942 5800 Arsenal Ave. near Macklind Ave.
City Poor House Unknown–Closed This institution cared for the poor. 1942 Arsenal Ave. near Dalton Ave.
Deaconess Hospital 1889–Open This facility was sold and changed its name to Forest Park Hospital in the 1990s. 1890s West Belle Pl. at Sarah St. 1930 6150 Oakland Ave.
DePaul Hospital 1828–Open DePaul was the oldest Catholic hospital in the country, originally known as the Sisters’ Hospital. 1880s Kennerly Ave. 1909 N. Market St. 1942 2415 N. Kingshighway Blvd. 1969 12303 De Paul Dr., Bridgeton
Emergency Home & Hospital Unknown–Closed This facility was for aged people, infants, and children. 1942 3108 Pine St.
Evangelical Deaconess Home & Hospital 1891–Merged The facility had a capacity of 90 patients. The motto was “to nurse the sick and care for the poor by practically trained Christian nurses.” In 1907, this facility cared for 1392 patients. This facility became Deaconess Hospital and is now Forest Park Hospital. 1909 4117–4125 West Belle Pl.
Firmin-Desloge Hospital 1932–Merged This facility is now part of St. Louis University Hospital. 1932 1325 Grand Ave.
Frisco Hospital Unknown–Closed This facility was limited to railroad employees of the Frisco Line. 1909 Laclede Ave. & Kingshighway Blvd.
German Lutheran Hospital 1867–Open Associated with the German Lutheran Orphan Home, this was a private hospital with a capacity for 100 patients. It also had a nursing school. 1909 2646 Potomac Ave.

St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547