St. Louis Orphanages
News Feeds:
St. Louis Genealogical Society - Search

St. Louis Orphanages

The descriptions used in this selected list were gleaned from the institutional advertisements in the 1909 St. Louis Directory of Charities and Philanthropies, city directories, histories, and other documents. Unless noted, all facilities were located in St. Louis City.

Showing records 1 to 41 of 41.

OrphanagesDatesYear Address Tidbits
Babies’ Home & Christian Hospital Unknown–Closed (1909) 2949 Euclid Ave.
Baptists Orphans’ Home 1882–Closed This facility merged with Missouri Baptist Orphans’ Home.
Bethesda Foundling Home 1889–Unknown This facility had a capacity of 150 “waifs” younger than 3 years. 1908 3633 Vista Ave.
Blind Girls Home 1867–Open This facility provided a home for indigent blind women and was operated by the Women’s Christian Association. Today it is called the Mary Culver Home for the Visually Impaired. Early 1214 N. Garrison Ave. (1909) 5235 Page Blvd. (Current) 221 W. Washington Ave. Kirkwood
Childrens’ Home Society of Missouri 1892–Open This facility took in destitute.
Christian Orphans’ Home 1887–Open This facility advertised a capacity of 150 orphans and half-orphans ages 2 to 12 years. This facility is now called NBA (National Benevolent Association) Emergency Children’s Home. (1900) 915 Aubert Ave. near Euclid & Labadie Ave. (1909) 2949 Euclid at Labadie Ave.
Colored Orphans’ Home 1888–Closed This facility cared for “colored” orphans. (1909) 4216a Natural Bridge Rd.
Edgewood Children’s Center 1858–Open This facility was formed from Girls Home and Girls’ Industrial Home. This home has two locations. (Current) 4974 Heege Rd. Affton - (Current) 330 N. Gore Ave. Webster Groves.
Episcopal Orphans’ Home 1843–Closed (1843) Spruce St. between 5th & 6th Sts. (1848) Franklin St. 1853 11th & Monroe Sts. (1900) 1701 Grand Ave. at Lafayette.
Epworth Home for Girls 1909–Open Several other homes merged into Epworth which is currently open. (1909) 110 N. Elm Ave. Webster Groves.
Evangelical Children’s Home 1858–Open (Current) 8240 St. Charles Rock Rd. St. John.
German Evangelical Lutheran Orphans’ Home 1868–1970s Associated with the German Lutheran Hospital. This was a home for Lutheran orphans ranging in age from 2 to 18 years. They were taught farming sewing housekeeping etc. (1868) Manchester & Ballas Rds. Des Peres.
German General Protestant Orphans’ Home 1877–Open This was a home for orphans and half orphans. The children attended public schools. This facility currently offers Ronald McDonald House services. (1877) 17th St. & Chouteau Ave. (1909) 4447 Natural Bridge Rd. near Newstead Ave. (1962) 12685 Olive Blvd.
German Protestant Orphans’ Home 1858–Open This facility had a capacity of 230 children and accepted orphans of all creeds or nationalities. The current name is Evangelical Children’s Home. (Current) 8240 St. Charles Rock Rd. St. John.
German St. Vincent’s Orphans’ Home 1851–Open This facility cared for Catholic orphans and half orphans ages 1 to 12 years. (1851) 20th & Cass Sts. (1909) 1421 Hogan St. (Current) 7401 Florissant Rd. Normandy.
Girls Home 1853–Merged This facility merged with Edgewood Children’s Center in the 1970s. (1853) 19th St. & Morgan (Delmar) Blvd. (1900) 5501 Enright Ave.
Girls’ Industrial Home 1854–Merged Orphan girls aged 3 to 12 years were taught useful arts and industries including “domestic science.” This facility and St. Louis Protestant Orphans’ Asylum became Edgewood Children’s Center. (1900) 5501 Von Verson (Enright) Ave.
House of Good Shepherd 1852–Closed This facility was part of the House of Refuge. (1852) 11th & Chestnut Sts.
House of the Guardian Angel Unknown–Closed This was a Catholic institution with a capacity of 35 to 40 girls and offered training for sewing and domestic work to moral young girls who were orphans and half orphans. (1909) 1029 Marion St
Jewish Orphans’ Home 1919–Open This facility became the Jewish Family & Childrens’ Service. (1929) 6630 Oakland Ave. (Current) 9385 Olive Blvd.
Lutheran Orphans’ Home 1868–Closed (1868) Kirkwood.
Masonic Home of Missouri 1886–1970s This facility was restricted to Missouri Masons and their widows and children who had no means of support. (1900) 5351 Delmar Blvd.
Methodist Childrens’ Home of St. Louis 1879–Merged This facility had a capacity for 200 orphans and half orphans of Protestant parentage. The age limits were boys 8 to 14 years and girls 2-1/2 to 18 years. This facility merged with Epworth. (1909) 4385 Maryland Ave. (girls). (1909) 3533 Laclede Ave (boys). (1951) 3715 Jamison Ave. (Current) 110 N. Elm Ave. Webster Groves.
Mission Free School 1852–Closed (1860) 8th St. 1881 9th St.
Missouri Baptist Childrens’ Home 1883–Open Formed from Missouri Baptist Orphans’ Home Baptists Orphans’ Home and Mission Baptist Home. (Current) 11300 St. Charles Rock Rd. Bridgeton.
Missouri Baptist Orphans’ Home 1883–Merged This home cared for Baptist children.
Mullanphy Orphans’ Home Unknown–Closed The Catholic Sisters had the capacity to care for 20 orphans at this facility. (1909) Taylor & Maryland Aves.
NBA (National Benevolent Association) Emergency Childrens’ Home. 1887–Open Formed from Christian Orphan Home. (Current) 3033 N. Euclid Ave.
Orphans’ Home of the Protestant Episcopal Church 1847–Closed This facility cared for 40 children. (1909) Grand Blvd. & Lafayette Ave.
Roman Catholic House of Good Sheperd 1852-1895 (1852) Chestnut & 18th Sts.
St. Ann’s Infant Asylum 1859–Merged Merged with St. Ann’s Widows’ Home and St. Mary’s Female Orphan Asylum.
St. Ann’s Widows’ Home 1859–Closed This facility was also known as the St. Ann’s Infant Asylum. (1859) 10th & O’Fallon Sts.
St. Bridget Orphan Asylum 1862–Closed
St. Domenico Orphan Home 1921–1962 Also known as St. Domenico Italian Orphan Home. This institution was initially funded by estates in 1921 and 1925 to provide for Italian orphans. The building was purchased in 1930. The home was operated by the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood. Eventually the children's ancestry was mixed. 1340 Partridge Ave. University City.
St. Francis Colored Orphan Asylum 1882–1965 This Normandy facility.
St. Joseph’s Boys Orphans’ Asylum 1835–2001 This facility accepted Catholic boys ages 3 to 12 years. The records for this facility are located at Catholic Services for Children and Youth at Kenrick Seminary. (1895) 4701 S. Grand Blvd. (1935) 4753 S. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis Colored Orphans’ Home 1888–Open This facility cared for ""colored” orphans and half-orphans ages 10 to 14 years. The children attended public school. It is now the Annie Malone Children Home. (1888) 1427 N. 12th St. (1909) 4316 Natural Bridge Rd. (1922) 2612 Goode St. (1946) 2612 Annie Malone Dr. or 4411 N. Newstead Ave.
St. Louis Protestant Orphan Asylum 1853–Open This Webster Groves facility cared for boys and girls of all religions. The age limits for boys 2-1/2 to 11 years.
St. Mary’s Female Orphan Asylum 1846–Merged This facility accepted Catholic girls ages 5 to 12 years. In 1859 it merged with St. Ann’s Infant Asylum. (1846) 10th & Biddle Sts. (1853) 11th & Marion Sts. (1900) 15th & Clark Sts. (1909) Emerson & Harvey Aves.
St. Philomena Industrial School & Orphanage 1834–Unknown This facility, operated by the Catholic Sisters, taught “practical industries” to girls older than 12 years. In 1910, the name changed to St. Philomena Technical School and was open to all, not just orphans. They continued to teach sewing and cooking skills to the girls. (1900) Clark & Ewing Aves. (1910) Union & Cabanne Aves.

St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547