St. Louis Orphanages
News Feeds:
St. Louis Genealogical Society - Search

St. Louis Orphanages

The descriptions used in this selected list were gleaned from the institutional advertisements in the 1909 St. Louis Directory of Charities and Philanthropies, city directories, histories, and other documents. Unless noted, all facilities were located in St. Louis City.

Showing records 14 to 38 of 41.

OrphanagesDatesYear Address Tidbits
German Protestant Orphans’ Home 1858–Open This facility had a capacity of 230 children and accepted orphans of all creeds or nationalities. The current name is Evangelical Children’s Home. (Current) 8240 St. Charles Rock Rd. St. John.
German St. Vincent’s Orphans’ Home 1851–Open This facility cared for Catholic orphans and half orphans ages 1 to 12 years. (1851) 20th & Cass Sts. (1909) 1421 Hogan St. (Current) 7401 Florissant Rd. Normandy.
Girls Home 1853–Merged This facility merged with Edgewood Children’s Center in the 1970s. (1853) 19th St. & Morgan (Delmar) Blvd. (1900) 5501 Enright Ave.
Girls’ Industrial Home 1854–Merged Orphan girls aged 3 to 12 years were taught useful arts and industries including “domestic science.” This facility and St. Louis Protestant Orphans’ Asylum became Edgewood Children’s Center. (1900) 5501 Von Verson (Enright) Ave.
House of Good Shepherd 1852–Closed This facility was part of the House of Refuge. (1852) 11th & Chestnut Sts.
House of the Guardian Angel Unknown–Closed This was a Catholic institution with a capacity of 35 to 40 girls and offered training for sewing and domestic work to moral young girls who were orphans and half orphans. (1909) 1029 Marion St
Jewish Orphans’ Home 1919–Open This facility became the Jewish Family & Childrens’ Service. (1929) 6630 Oakland Ave. (Current) 9385 Olive Blvd.
Lutheran Orphans’ Home 1868–Closed (1868) Kirkwood.
Masonic Home of Missouri 1886–1970s This facility was restricted to Missouri Masons and their widows and children who had no means of support. (1900) 5351 Delmar Blvd.
Methodist Childrens’ Home of St. Louis 1879–Merged This facility had a capacity for 200 orphans and half orphans of Protestant parentage. The age limits were boys 8 to 14 years and girls 2-1/2 to 18 years. This facility merged with Epworth. (1909) 4385 Maryland Ave. (girls). (1909) 3533 Laclede Ave (boys). (1951) 3715 Jamison Ave. (Current) 110 N. Elm Ave. Webster Groves.
Mission Free School 1852–Closed (1860) 8th St. 1881 9th St.
Missouri Baptist Childrens’ Home 1883–Open Formed from Missouri Baptist Orphans’ Home Baptists Orphans’ Home and Mission Baptist Home. (Current) 11300 St. Charles Rock Rd. Bridgeton.
Missouri Baptist Orphans’ Home 1883–Merged This home cared for Baptist children.
Mullanphy Orphans’ Home Unknown–Closed The Catholic Sisters had the capacity to care for 20 orphans at this facility. (1909) Taylor & Maryland Aves.
NBA (National Benevolent Association) Emergency Childrens’ Home. 1887–Open Formed from Christian Orphan Home. (Current) 3033 N. Euclid Ave.
Orphans’ Home of the Protestant Episcopal Church 1847–Closed This facility cared for 40 children. (1909) Grand Blvd. & Lafayette Ave.
Roman Catholic House of Good Sheperd 1852-1895 (1852) Chestnut & 18th Sts.
St. Ann’s Infant Asylum 1859–Merged Merged with St. Ann’s Widows’ Home and St. Mary’s Female Orphan Asylum.
St. Ann’s Widows’ Home 1859–Closed This facility was also known as the St. Ann’s Infant Asylum. (1859) 10th & O’Fallon Sts.
St. Bridget Orphan Asylum 1862–Closed
St. Domenico Orphan Home 1921–1962 Also known as St. Domenico Italian Orphan Home. This institution was initially funded by estates in 1921 and 1925 to provide for Italian orphans. The building was purchased in 1930. The home was operated by the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood. Eventually the children's ancestry was mixed. 1340 Partridge Ave. University City.
St. Francis Colored Orphan Asylum 1882–1965 This Normandy facility.
St. Joseph’s Boys Orphans’ Asylum 1835–2001 This facility accepted Catholic boys ages 3 to 12 years. The records for this facility are located at Catholic Services for Children and Youth at Kenrick Seminary. (1895) 4701 S. Grand Blvd. (1935) 4753 S. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis Colored Orphans’ Home 1888–Open This facility cared for ""colored” orphans and half-orphans ages 10 to 14 years. The children attended public school. It is now the Annie Malone Children Home. (1888) 1427 N. 12th St. (1909) 4316 Natural Bridge Rd. (1922) 2612 Goode St. (1946) 2612 Annie Malone Dr. or 4411 N. Newstead Ave.
St. Louis Protestant Orphan Asylum 1853–Open This Webster Groves facility cared for boys and girls of all religions. The age limits for boys 2-1/2 to 11 years.

St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547