|B'Nai Amoona Cemetery (B21)||| Print ||
Photo taken by Karl Bloomberg © 2011; used with permission.
Cemetery holds a short entry register 1888-1895 (records 1872-1887 are lacking) and recent large plot maps which locate all identifiable graves from existing monuments and records. In 1924 the name of the cemetery was changed from Sheerith Israel ("Remnant of Israel") Cemetery to B'nai Amoona Cemetery.
The present cemetery has plots on both sides of Blackberry Lane. The smaller one to the south is 1.3 acres and dates back to 1871, when it was purchased for Sheerith Israel. In 1884 a splinter group from Sheerith Israel formed B'nai Amoona. Members of B'nai Amoona could no longer use the Sheerith Israel cemetery, so they bought an acre from Mount Sinai on Gravois Road. In 1893, however the two groups were reunited under the newer name.
General information on cemeteries and other resources in Missouri:
To access the JGS Cemetery Database records by name or soundex search, please use the Search button on the top menu.
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547