|Bellefontaine Methodist Episcopal Church||| Print ||
In May 1805, a group of citizens met to study the Bible and worship according to the teachings of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. John Allen told the story of this first class meeting in the 26 January 1860 issue of the St. Louis Christian Advocate, a Methodist newspaper. It is believed this small group became the Bellefontaine United Methodist Church.
James Russell Bissell donated six acres of land on the east side of Bellefontaine Road with the new church holding its first service in 1855. The 1858–1859 register of the St. Louis Circuit, St. Louis Conference, Missouri, includes the name of the members of the various classes or churches on the circuit, plus some baptismal records.
Many of the surnames in the register are local place names throughout northern St. Louis County: Patterson, Redman, Edmundson, Goodfellow, Bissell, Toelle, Larimore, Hume, St. Vrain, Fry, Gardner, Woodson, and McClure.
This information was first published in the 1994 St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, volume 27, number 3, pages 80–82.
St. Louis Genealogical Society · #4 Sunnen Drive, Suite 140 · St. Louis, MO 63143 · 314-647-8547